Frequently Asked Questions

What fees do I need to pay?

  • New Students must pay a $150.00 room deposit online when completing the housing application.   
  • Returning Students must pay the $150.00 non-refundable room reservation fee when completing the housing application.

What is the deadline to pay the required fees?

  • Returning Students – the application and payment process is a rolling process. For priority consideration in the lottery process application and payment must be submitted by April 15.  
  • New Students - (1st Time Freshmen, 1st Time Transfer and Graduate Students) - Students will be assigned on a first come, first serve bases, based on when the completed application and payment was received online.   

How do I pay the required fees?

All payments must be made online when completing the housing application.

How much does it cost to live on campus?

Please refer to the Tuition and Fees page.

If I change my mind about living on campus, do I get my deposit back?

  • 1st Time Freshmen- 1st Time Transfer and Graduate StudentsThe Housing Damage Deposit of $150.00 is refundable. However, students who withdraw from the university or do not meet the terms of their contract will not be eligible to receive a refund.

  • Returning Students-The Room Damage Deposit of $150 is refundable. However, students who withdraw from the university or do not meet the terms of their contract will not be eligible to receive a refund.

For students who receive a housing assignment and would like to cancel must do so prior to May 15 (Fall) and November 15 (Spring) or be charged a $500 cancellation fee. Please see your Housing and Food Service Terms and Conditions for more details.

What is my Pin Number?

If you are a first time user of Banner your pin number is defaulted to your birthday, 2 digit month, 2 digit day, and 2 digit year. (xx xx xx)  You will be required to change your pin upon log in, and the new pin must be 6 digits.

How do I access my banner account/House Self Service Account? 

  1. Go to
  2. Go to Trojan Link (at the of the page)
  3. Go to Banner
  4. Click self-service for student
  5. Login with your V# and pin
  6. Click Student, Housing & Financial Aid
  7. Click on Housing Self-Service
  8. Click on Application at the top (choose the corect application)

NOTE: Pin# is defaulted to students Birthdate: 2digit Month, Day and Year. (000000)

Can I select my roommate?

First time students are allowed to make roommate requests via their online housing application. Both incoming students must request each other on their individual applications and both student must complete all requirements regarding housing prior to being assigned. 

When do Halls open?

Refer to the move-in page.

How do I complete the online application? (All Students) 

Refer to the applying for housing page.

What residence halls do I qualify for?

Residence Hall



Residence Hall



Langston Hall

Technology LLC Students


Branch Hall

1st Time - Freshman


Campbell Hall

1st Time - Freshman


Seward Hall

Music LLC Students


Williams Hall

1st Time - Freshman


VSU Quad I (A side)

Honors College LLC


VSU Quad I (B Side)

Education LLC

Medical Scholars LLC

First Generation LLC


VSU Quad II (C Side)

Sophomore/2nd Year Students


VSU Quad II (D Side)

Sophomore/2nd Year Students

First Generation LLC


Moore/Gateway Halls

Juniors - Seniors - Transfer & Graduate Students


Whiting Hall

Sophomores - Juniors - Seniors


What are the housing requirements?

University Affiliated Housing during the academic school year:

  • Returning students must register for courses

  • Returning students must complete the online housing application and pay $150.00 Non-Refundable Room Reservation Fee

  • New students must be admitted to the University

  • New students must complete online housing application and pay $150.00 Room Deposit online after the $100.00 advance tuition payment has posted to students account.

Payment of fees and submission of a housing application DOES NOT guarantee housing. Space is limited and assigned on a first come first serve.

Do I have to live on-campus? 

Students with less than 60 earned credit hours are required to live on-campus, unless their permanent home of residency is within a 25 mile radius of VSU, the student is 21 years of age or older, married or previously married, or has completed a tour of military service. Student must obtain a Housing Exemption Request form from the Housing Office or our website, fill it out completely, and return to the Director with the required documentation for approval. Please view the Housing Exemption Request form for further details.

Where can I find the contact information for my residence hall?

Go to the Residence Hall information page. 

Who do I contact for housing concerns?

Student should contact the Residence Director of the hall of concern.

What is an RD?  

A Residence Director is a professional staff member who supervises, manages, and directs the residence hall and staff. 

What is an RA?

Resident Assistants are student leaders living in the Residence Halls who provide guidance to students from a peer perspective.

What do I do when I need something in my room fixed?

Log into your housing self-service portal via banner – click “RCR/Damage” - click “Submit Your Workorder” and complete the online form. Once the request is processed, someone from Facilities Management will attend to the matter. 

What furnishings are provided in the room?

Generally speaking, each resident is provided with a twin XL-sized bed w/ drawers, a desk and chair.  Rooms that do not have built-in closets are provided with Wardrobes (portable closets).

Are pets allowed in the Residence Halls?

Fish in tanks no larger than 10 gallons are the only permissible pets. 

Can I bring my own room decorations?

Feel free to decorate your rooms with posters and pictures, but remember to use removable adhesive to hold them up.  Nails, tacks, and staples are not approved for hanging, and students will be charged up to $300.00 to repair and paint walls.  Our windows are furnished with vertical blinds so you cannot bring your own curtains.

Where do I do my laundry?

Each Residence Hall is equipped with Coin and University Trojan Card-operated laundry facilities.  The cost for washing is $1.25 per load and for drying is $1.25 per load.  Students may add money to their cards – visit the Trojan Card webpage for details.  

Is there a deposit for summer school?

No, there is no deposit for summer school; students only need to complete the online summer housing application.

How do I complete a Summer School Housing Application?

  1. Log onto
  2. Click on Trojan Link
  3. Click on Banner
  4. Click on Current Students
  5. Enter V-Number & Pin
  6. Click on Student, Housing & Financial Aid
  7. Click on MyHousing
  8. Choose “Log In” under Apply Online
  9. Use the drop down menu and choose Summer School Housing Application

Do I Qualify to live at University Apartments at Ettrick (UAE)?  

  • Student must be enrolled at Virginia State University
  • Have earned a minimum 2.0 Grade Point Average
  • Have 24 credit hours at the time of signing lease (or 15 accepted credit ours and a 2.5 GPA for first time transfer students)

  • Be in good financial standing and judicial standing with the University

What fees do I need to pay to begin my housing process with UAE?  

  • $40.00 Application fee (New Residents only)
  • $150.00 Non-Refundable Fee (Holds Apartment)
  • $150.00 Refundable Fee (Security Deposit)

How do I make my payments to UAE?  

In Person:        4010 J. Mitchell Jones Dr.
                         Club House Office
                         Petersburg, VA 23803

By Phone:      (804) 524-5153 (Credit Card payments) 888.744.0026 (Residents Only)

Hours:            Monday – Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM / Saturday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM / Sunday: Closed
By Web: