Virginia State University, an HBCU founded in 1882, is one of Virginia's two land-grant institutions and is located 20 minutes south of Richmond in the village of Ettrick
With a current student population of approximately 4,000, the University sits atop a rolling landscape overlooking the Appomattox River with expansive views of Petersburg. Our 231-acre campus boasts 11 residence halls, 18 academic buildings, and a 412-acre agriculture research facility.
VSU offers 36 undergraduate degree programs, 16 graduate degree programs, two doctoral degree programs, and eight certificate programs. Check out our Degree Programs.
Virginia State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters and doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Virginia State University.
College and Program Accreditation
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY is the nation’s first state supported HBCU to offer both a college program and a normal program, thereby opening doors for transformative experiences, opportunities, and access to a diverse population of lifelong learners in an inclusive environment for more than 130 years.
- Virginia State University opens doors for GREATER access to lifelong learners
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY is THE Opportunity University supporting our students through graduation and beyond thereby changing the economic outlook of families for generations to come.
- Virginia State University provides GREATER educational opportunities to increase the economic outlook for generations to come
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY is an 1890 land-grant university offering its students education in the fields of agriculture, engineering, family and consumer sciences, and the military sciences. Its land-grant mission also drives the university to be a leader in agricultural research and in extending its university expertise beyond its campus walls to help improve the quality of life in our state, the nation and world.
- Virginia State University provides GREATER outreach as an 1890 Land-Grant University extending GREATER expertise to improve the quality of life in our state, nation and world
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY faculty, staff and administration are engaged in and dedicated to providing a personable, stable and nurturing holistic atmosphere conducive to learning, growing, and transforming.
- Virginia State University provides a personable, stable, nurturing, holistic atmosphere conducive to GREATER learning, growing, and transforming
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY develops leaders who are more engaged with their learning and are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and disposition to be globally competitive while remaining civically engaged.
- Virginia State University develops GREATER leaders who are globally competitive while remaining civically engaged