SCHEV Program Approvals
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) is the Commonwealth's coordinating body for higher education. The Office of the Provost is the liaison to SCHEV and acts as a resource for the university community in regards to SCHEV policy compliance.
The Office of the Provost provides support and guidance for all academic program matters that require SCHEV approval and/or notification. While working in concert with faculty and staff, the Office of the Provost disseminates information on SCHEV policy and procedures and provides assistance with the formal proposal process.
The following actions require SCHEV approval:
- New Degree Programs
- Program Mergers
- Degree Designation Change or Additions
- Academic Program Title Changes
CIP Code Changes
- Academic Program Discontinuance
- Creation or merging of academic departments
- Closing academic departments
- Name changes for academic departments
For more information about program approvals, please contact the Office of Planning and Institutional Effectiveness or 804-524-1196.