Educational Talent Search Program, (ETS)
The Virginia State University Educational Talent Search Program, (ETS) is a college preparatory program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The purpose of the program is to provide academic support services, college and career counseling as well as financial literacy to Petersburg Public School students in grades 6-12 and the GED Program. ETS encourages persons who have not completed education programs at the secondary or postsecondary level to enter or reenter and complete postsecondary education. The goal of the VSU ETS program is to provide services that assist students in completing secondary school and enrolling in postsecondary institutions.
Participants will receive assistance and or participate in the following areas:
|After School Academic Tutoring||Academic Assessments|
|College & Career Exploration||Community Service Projects|
|Academic Advising||Group Guidance Workshops/Activities|
|Educational/Cultural Field Trips||Financial Literacy Workshops|
|College Visits/Tours||SAT/ACT Preparation|
|College Application Process||Financial Aid Planning & Workshops|
|ACT & SAT Fee Waivers||FAFSA Completion|
|Mentoring||Parental Engagement Workshops|
Flagway© Teams and Competition
TRiO/ETS Schools Served
- Petersburg High School
- Vernon Johns Middle School
- Blandford Academy
The VSU ETS program is FREE and participants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Petersburg City Public School student
- Be enrolled in grades 6-12 or not more than 27 years of age needing help with re-entering a post-secondary school of your choice
- Are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (U.S. National; temporary or permanent resident of the U.S.)
- Qualify as a potential first-generation college student (parent does not have a 4-year degree)
- Meet income guidelines established by the Federal Government
- Other: a limited number of students who do not meet the above requirements may be selected based upon need of services.
- Complete an ETS Application
- Print and return to the ETS Office or School Counselor at your School.
Regina Barnett Tyler, ABD
Gertrude Taylor, M. Ed.
Keonte’ Owens, M.S.
After School Tutorial Coordinator