VSU men reach Final Four in National Intramural Basketball Tournament
The Virginia State University men’s intramural basketball team recently placed fourth in the 2014 National Intramural Tournament at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, NC. VSU lost 40-32 in the semifinals to eventual national champion Georgia Tech. The other final four teams were Columbus State University and the University of Texas. The VSU squad was among 80 teams competing in the national tournament.
A women’s team also represented VSU, with several members earning individual recognition.
VSU men and women included among the Top 20 in individual statistical categories included:
- Curtis Bunn, fourth in blocked shots and 20th in steals
- Jamar Cooper, ninth in three point field goals and 20th in free throws
- Robert Douglass, third in steals, fifth in rebounds and 17th in MVP voting
- Terrance Granger, second in tournament MVP voting, 10th in rebounds, 13th in blocked shots and 16th in free throws
- Cedric Kwindja, ninth in rebounds
- Tyrell Sitton, fifth in steals, 14th in blocked shots, 15th in MVP voting and 19th in free throws
- Brittany Bates, 11th in rebounds and 19th in blocks
- Taylor Henderson, second in three point field goals and sixth in tournament MVP voting
- Katherine Mathieu, 12th in blocks
- Lorraine Turner, ninth in three point field goals and 19th in rebounds