New Members Appointed To The Virginia State University Board Of Visitors
Governor Glenn Youngkin announces additional key administration appointments.
Governor Glenn Youngkin has announced new administration appointments including five new appointees and one reappointment to the Virginia State University (VSU) Board of Visitors. The Governor’s new appointments to the VSU Board of Visitors are:
- Victor Branch of Chesterfield, Senior Vice President and Market Manager of Corporate Affairs, Bank of America
- Dr. Valerie Brown of Chesapeake, Executive Pastor, Mount Global Fellowship of Churches (reappointment)
- Thomas Cosgrove of Williamsburg, Senior Manager of External Affairs, Newport News Shipbuilding
- Robert Denton, Jr. of Blacksburg, Founding Director, School of Communications at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Harold Green, Jr. MD of Midlothian, Physician, Bon Secours Health System, Inc.
- Leonard L. Haynes III, PhD of Silver Springs, Maryland, Senior Vice-President and Special Advisor for HBCU Initiatives, Strategic Education Inc.
"I’m delighted to appoint this group of proven leaders in their respective fields to help ensure every student has a best-in-class education," said Governor Glenn Youngkin. "I have tasked these innovators to bring their expertise as parents, industry leaders, educators, and policymakers to ensure our classrooms and our campuses prepare students for success in life. This includes providing equal access to educational opportunities regardless of background or zip code, protecting and promoting free speech, restoring the ability to have civil discourse, keeping tuition affordable, and ensuring that all Virginians have access to in-demand career pathways. Together, we will make Virginia the best place to learn across a lifetime."
“We are excited about our new Board members and the level of expertise and wealth of knowledge they bring to VSU. I look forward to working with our Board to continue strengthening our University and providing a transformative educational experience for our students,” stated VSU President, Dr. Makola M. Abdullah. “The new Board members will bring valuable experience to our already robust Board of Visitors as we continue to move the University forward. I would also like to take this opportunity to extend my sincere gratitude for the service, support and commitment of each of the Visitors who are transitioning off the Board: Ms. Thursa Crittenden, Mr. Charlie Hill, Mr. Xavier Richardson, Mr. Jay Stegmaier (posthumous), and Mr. Raul Herrera.”
The VSU Board of Visitors is responsible for the management of funds and approval of an annual budget, as well as controlling and expending the funds of the University that relate to appropriations, appointing the University President, setting student tuition, mandatory fees and other necessary charges, and oversight of University affairs.
The 15 member Board of Visitors assembles on campus for quarterly scheduled meetings to discuss strategic planning and budgeting, student and academic affairs, endowment management, resources and governance, auditing, and facilities management. The new VSU Board members will begin their terms on July 1, 2022.