Applying for Veteran's Benefits
- Go to www.gibill.va.gov
- Click on apply for benefits
- Click on VONAPP
- Click on new user if you have never before used VONAPP
- Create a user ID and password
- Once logged onto VONAPP, you are to select the type of benefit you wish to apply for
- If you are applying for Chapter 30, 33, 1606, 1607, go to the Application for Education drop down menu and fill out-Form VA-Form 22-1990
- If you are applying for Chapter 35 benefits, go to the Application for Survivors’ and Dependents Education Assistance drop down menu and fill out VA Form 22-5490
TRANSFERING OF BENEFITS TO DEPENDENTS
If you are transferring benefits to dependents, it is a two part process. First, you must get approval from the Department of Defense (DoD). Once approved, you are to complete the VA-Form 22-1990e which can be obtain from steps listed above and from the Transfer of Benefits to Dependents drop down menu. Once complete, this can be electronically submitted to Veterans Affairs (VA).
Once benefits have been approved, VA will mail you the Certificate of Eligibility. Bring the Certificate of Eligibility to the VSU VA representative located in Trinkle Hall, room 204. This form can also be emailed to the VA representative at email@example.com . Once received, the certification can be completed.
For those individuals who applied late and have not received an approval letter from the VA, before the start of school, please provide the VA Representative a copy of the DoD Approval and a copy of the VA Form 22-1990e. This should have the confirmation listed at the bottom of the application. The letter and the information at the bottom will allow the VA Representative to process the certification.
VERIFICATION OF ENROLLMENT FOR CHAPTERS 30, 1606, 1607
Student receiving Chapter 30, 1606, 1607, must verify their enrollment monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling 1-877-823-2378 Interactive Voice Response (IVR). The earliest students can verify their enrollment is the last calendar day of each month.