The Mathematics and Economics Department sponsors six student-oriented organizations:
- The Walter Johnson Mathematics and Computer Science Club, in which the primary emphasis is on topics and activities of interest to mathematics and computer science students and teachers,
- The Kappa Mu Epsilon Mathematics National Honor Society (Virginia Alpha Chapter), which provides incentive and opportunity for scholarly work in mathematics,
- A student chapter of the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM),
- A student chapter of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon Computer Science Honor Society.
- VSU MATH ALUMNI ALLIANCE (VSU-MAA)
All majors qualify for membership in the Mathematics and Computer Science clubs; however, membership in Kappa Mu Epsilon Mathematics National Honor Society and Upsilon Pi Epsilon Computer Science Honor Society is based on high academic achievement.
The Department also holds Institutional Membership with the following state and/or national organizations: Mathematical Association of America (MAA), National Association of Mathematicians (NAM), and Virginia Council of Teachers of Mathematics (VCTM).