Advisors are here to guide you every step of the way. As an engineering/computer science student at VSU, your faculty advisor will play a key role in helping you to determine your area of focus, choosing the best courses each semester to match this focus, and even selecting the right career path for your future. Every student is assigned an academic advisor in his/her field of study beginning in the freshmen year.
In this section, you will learn when you must meet with your advisor, more details about ways your advisor can assist you.
You will not be allowed to register until you meet with your advisor, so it is critical that you seek your advisor well before registration. Your advisor is an important resource to you because he/she will help you to develop and achieve your educational goals by assisting you with:
- understanding your major and general education requirements as outlined on your graduation worksheet
- scheduling courses each semester
- recommending course sequences within your major and informing you when courses are offered
- researching internship and undergraduate research opportunities
- identifying career and professional opportunities within your major
- referring you to campus resources that may benefit you
- interpreting academic policies and regulations
- verifying your eligibility for graduation
As you can see, your faculty advisor will play a critical role in making your undergraduate experience go smoothly.