The Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Dance/Sport Management is a component of the College of Education. In harmony with the mission of the College, the Department’s purpose is to prepare professionals to serve the public in the areas of teaching, health and wellness, leisure and recreation, sport management, and allied fields.
This purpose is facilitated through teaching, research/technology-based activities, outreach-public service endeavors, practical experiences, and graduate school preparation strategies. These components are designed to prepare students to negotiate the demands of a global marketplace that require a sensitivity to members of diverse cultures and special populations.
General Department Objectives
The general objectives of the department are to:
- Describe the foundation of history, science, philosophy and techniques needed to develop professionals in health, physical education, recreation, dance, and sport management.
- Discuss and reflect on the engagement of professional, social, ethical, and essential practices in health and fitness among culturally diverse communities.
- Relate, design, implement, and evaluate evidence-based practices acquired in major course work to field-based experiences.
- Apply critical thinking skills to science-based research in the fields of health, physical education, recreation, dance, and sport management.
- Demonstrate the effective use of technology to promote professional practice and improve communication.