Admission to the online BSN completion program will follow the admission policies of Virginia State University. Applicants for the online BSN completion program will satisfy VSU academic requirements as a transfer student. Prospective applicants must be a licensed RN and submit evidence of completion in an associate degree in nursing or hospital diploma program.
In order to apply to the online RN-BSN completion program applicants must meet the following University requirements:
- Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing from a university or community college or diploma nursing school.
- Transcripts reflecting a cumulative GPA on all college work attempted of “C” 2.0 or better on a 4-point scale or above and be in good standing at the previous institutions.
- Complete and return the VSU application for admission as a transfer student.
- Request the transcripts of all colleges attended to send official transcripts to VSU admissions.
- Request the last college attended to complete and return the Confidential Report Form.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a combination of academic counselors, employers, and/or teachers. Please forward to firstname.lastname@example.org
- An applicant from a country where English is not the native language is required to demonstrate a proficiency in English by submitting scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Official test scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service. Registration forms and information concerning the time and place of the TOEFL may be obtained by writing to TOEFL, Educational Testing Service, CN 6151, Princeton, NJ 08546-151, USA. An international student must provide documentation verifying resources to meet financial needs for the designated period of study at Virginia State University.
Department of Nursing requirements:
In order to be admitted to the online BSN completion program, the RN student must:
- Completed an associate degree or hospital diploma program in professional nursing;
- Have an unencumbered license as Registered Nurse (RN) in Virginia, or from a Nurse Licensure Compact state or hold a RN license in another state and be eligible for licensure as a RN in Virginia.
- Current American Heart CPR for Healthcare Providers.
- Satisfactory criminal and sex offender background check.
- Evidence of a negative tuberculosis test or present a copy of a current negative chest x-ray.
- Satisfactory completion or concurrent enrollment in: Statistics (3 credits), Microbiology (4 credits), Anatomy and Physiology (8 credits), Information Systems (3 credits), and Human Growth and Development (3 credits) with a “C” or better.
- Students who are graduates of international nursing schools who are not licensed in a state, the District of Columbia, Canada or a United States Possession or territory are required to obtain a Visa Screen Certificate issued by the Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools. The student must be a licensed RN in Virginia.
For further information, please contact the Department of Nursing at 804-524-5327. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sibena Samuel-Harris PhD, RN, CNE
Associate Professor/Interim Chairperson
Department of Nursing
Hunter McDaniel Bldg.
Rm 140N Suite C