Admission to the BSN in Nursing program will follow the admission policies of Virginia State University. Applicants for the BSN completion will satisfy VSU academic requirements as a transfer student. The RN student must submit evidence of completion of the associate degree in nursing or hospital diploma. The Office of Admission uses the follow guidelines for regular admissions as a transfer student:
- Applicants with at least 24 hours or more of college credit will be evaluated as a transfer student and do not have to meet the requirements of a freshman student. You do not need to submit a high school transcript. The applicant who has attended a college or university is considered for admission. Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of "C" (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or above and be in good standing at the previous institutions.
- RN Applicants must:
(1) Complete and return the application for admission as a transfer student,
(2) Request the Registrar of all colleges attended to send official transcripts of college records, and
(3) Request the last college attended to complete and return the Confidential Report Form
- RN Applicants must:
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a combination of academic counselors, employers, and/or teachers. Please forward to email@example.com.
- An applicant from a country where English is not the native language is required to demonstrate a proficiency in English by submitting scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Official test scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service. Registration forms and information concerning the time and place of the TOEFL may be obtained by writing to TOEFL, Educational Testing Service, CN 6151, Princeton, NJ 08546-151, USA. An international student must provide documentation verifying resources to meet financial needs for the designated period of study at Virginia State University.
In addition to the above, a concurrent separate application is required by the Department of Nursing. In order to be admitted to the BSN program, the RN student must:
- Have completed an associate degree or hospital diploma program in professional nursing;
- Have an unencumbered license as Registered Nurse (RN) in Virginia, or from a Nurse Licensure Compact state or hold a RN license in another state and be eligible for licensure as a RN in Virginia.
- Current American Heart CPR for Healthcare Providers.
- Satisfactory criminal and sex offender background check.
- Evidence of a negative tuberculosis screening test or present a copy of a current negative chest x-ray.
- Satisfactory completion or concurrent enrollment in: Statistics (3 credits), Microbiology (4 credits), Anatomy and Physiology (8 credits), Information Systems (3 credits), and Human Growth and Development (3 credits) with a “C” or better.
- Students who are graduates of international nursing schools who are not licensed in a state, the District of Columbia, Canada or a United States Possession or territory are required to obtain a Visa Screen Certificate issued by the Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools. The student must be a licensed RN in Virginia.
For further information, please contact the Department of Nursing at 804-524-6899. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Karen Faison, PhD, APRN-BC, CNE