Objectives & Outcomes
The Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) have been established in consultation with the major program constituencies including students, faculty, alumni, employers, and the Industrial Advisory Committee. Additional input was obtained from colleagues at accredited computer engineering and computer science programs across the nation.
The PEOs are periodically reviewed to ensure that they are consistent with the University’s mission and that the needs of the program’s constituencies are being met. The Program Educational Objectives presented become effective beginning in Fall 2019.
Within a few years after graduation, graduates of Computer Science are expected to:
- Advance in their profession as globally competitive leaders or pursue advanced study in computing sciences or related field of interest.
- Practice the profession ethically and responsibly throughout their careers, and contribute to the welfare of local, national, and global communities.
- Ideate, convey, and share scientific concepts to enhance individual and organizational productivity.
- Engage in professional development throughout their careers to broaden their knowledge for significant contributions to technological innovation.
The Computer Science program has identified six Student Outcomes (SOs) that prepare its graduates to meet the Program Educational Objectives.
Graduates of the program are able to:
- Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program’s discipline.
- Apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.
The implementation of these desired Student Outcomes is accomplished through the curriculum and extracurricular activities. Students have many opportunities to participate in a variety of activities offered by the program and the Department of Computer Science.