Hospitality Management Overview
The VSU Hospitality Management Program is one of only 5 Historically Black College and University (HBCU) programs accredited by ACPHA. The objective of the program is to provide students leadership and managerial training with real world hospitality educational experiences. To complement the program’s competitive advantage, is its efforts to augment the hospitality industry’s access to a diverse talent acquisition pipeline.
Mission of Department
To educate and prepare students to be informed citizens and leaders who can assume productive roles within the global hospitality industry and the community.
Objectives of Department
The Hospitality Management program will emerge as a Center of Excellence in Hospitality, which embraces global concepts, leadership, team building behavior and concepts, which are current and relevant to the dynamics of the hospitality industry. The curriculum is designed to develop students’ focus on operations management at the property level and prepare them for careers leading to general and executive management.
Department of Hospitality Management Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:PLO 1: Identify and apply the knowledge and skills necessary for hospitality and tourism operations
PLO 2: Develop and integrate a core set of business skills necessary to successfully operate a hospitality and tourism organization
PLO 3: Demonstrate competence in the communication skills necessary for hospitality and tourism management
PLO 4: Formulate business decisions in hospitality and tourism management
PLO 5: Evaluate leadership principles necessary in the diverse and global hospitality and tourism industry
Program Student Profile
(For the past three academic years)
|Undergraduate Enrollment – Major||3 Years Ago||2 Years Ago||
1 Year Ago
|Number of Students||54||47||42|
|Number of Graduates1||7||7||11|
|Retention Rate % – Freshmen to Sophomore (for all Programs)||4%||5%||Not Available|
|% Students employed in the hospitality industry or a related field i.e. Professional Placement within 90 days after graduation3||77%||90%||81%|
|% Students continuing their education within 90 days after graduation4||1%||1%||0|
|Total Professional Placement and Continuing Education Rate5|
1. List All grads (Aug., Dec., & May) should be considered in the academic year. For example, Aug. 2020, Dec. 2020, and May 2021 would be used as data for the 2020-2021 academic year.
2. Calculate by dividing total number of students in the major by total FTE (Full-time equivalent) major faculty
3. Calculate by dividing the number of students employed in industry or related field by the total students graduating in the major for that year.
4. Calculate by dividing the number of students continuing their education by the total students graduating in the major for that year.
5. Sum number 3 and 4 above (should be equal to or less than 100 %)
Hospitality Management Department Flyer
To view an informational flyer on the Hospitality Management Department, download the PDF