The following admission criteria is applied to all applicants who express interest in participating in the M.Ed. in Counselor Education program. Admission to the Department of Counselor Education is contingent upon meeting the following program requirements. Admission is competitive and candidates will be selected based on the following program criteria:
- Competitive undergraduate GPA scores (preferably 3.0) (on a 4.0 GPA Scale). Candidates must maintain a minimum of 3.0 GPA at the graduate level to be retained in graduate school
- Personal statement describing reasons for seeking this degree, experiences that influenced you to pursue counseling, and attributes you possess which would contribute to your effectiveness as a counselor
- Three professional recommendations on letterhead (addressing character, academic promise, suitability for the counseling profession)
- Resume or Vitae of work experience and education
- Official Transcript (s) from all colleges attended
- Competitive scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) - official scores should be forwarded to the Office of Graduate Admissions/Test scores submitted in support of applications for admission must be within the six-year period.
- An on-site writing sample of 300-500 words
- Successfully passing a professional disposition interview with the departmental faculty admissions committee.
- Applicants admitted to the program as Pre-Candidates will be expected to begin their coursework in the Spring or Summer semester and progress in synch with the course sequence of study. Conditionally admitted applicants must successfully pass the professional disposition interview with the departmental faculty admissions committee and only allowed take six credits the first semester and maintain a 3.0 GPA. Conditionally admitted applicants must also adhere to all condition set forth by the departmental faculty admissions committee.
All applicants for whom English is a foreign language must demonstrate proficiency in the English language through the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or international English Language Testing System (IELTS) if English is not the primary language spoken in the household. A minimum score of 61 preferred 71 (internet based), 173 preferred (197) (computer based), or 500 preferred (527) is required on the TOEFL. A minimum score of 5.5 on the IELTS for admission.