Senior Instructional Designer
Virginia State University (VSU) seeks applicants for a Senior Instructional Designer to support the academic initiatives of the VSU Online/Distance Education programs. The Senior Instructional Designer will be responsible for overseeing the development and maintaining of relationships with faculty through facilitating the development of their online courses. In addition, this person will be responsible for all aspects of instructional and curriculum design (e.g., analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation) relative to delivery of effective and efficient professional development courses to help faculty convert to the online environment and to promote the quality of online instruction at the University.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting in providing pedagogical consultation services to faculty, including, but not limited to: coaching, mentoring, and encouraging online teaching and learning best practices;
- Assists in monitoring and adjusting online instruction to meet course learning objectives;
- Develops and support faculty professional development for online modes of delivery;
- Assists in developing and implementing instructional design strategies for academic programs;
- Participates in team strategic planning and scheduling to ensure alignment and attainment of team goals and objectives, as well as enhance communication between and among the Office of Distance Education and academic units;
- Makes recommendations of procedures and standards that apply to online delivery;
- Participates in unit meetings and other university activities;
- Facilitates and supports continuous quality improvement initiatives;
- Serves as lead instructional designer in the development of new online course and program offerings;
- Provides guidance to department and faculty when launching and developing courses at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate level;
- Ensures newly developed courses meet the academic unit’s accreditation requirements and quality assurance standards;
- Collaborates with the Department Chairperson to ensure online course design meets major curriculum objectives for each online program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required: Earned Master’s degree from an accredited institution with studies in Instructional Design, Curriculum, or related field with area of specialization in online pedagogy. Minimum of (5) five years of instructional design professional experience, with a demonstrated record of sustained leadership and achievement in instructional and/or curriculum design. Knowledge of web functionality and authoring skills. Certificate or Graduate Degree in Instructional/Curriculum Design. Expert knowledge of Learning Management Systems and educational technology tools. Expert knowledge of instructional design. · Knowledge of digital media production: methods, techniques, and standards. Expert knowledge of online accessibility standards.
Preferred: A terminal degree from an accredited institution within the area of specialization. The successful candidate will be committed to the mission of the University and demonstrate record of contributions to inclusion, diversity and equity. He/she will be able to exude personal attributes such as strong communication skills, congeniality, adaptability, resourcefulness, and the ability to concurrently and effectively manage multiple tasks. A successful record of prior experience working with subject matter experts and faculty members to develop curriculum and design distance learning courses. Prior experience designing interactive learning modules using eLearning authoring tools such as Articulate 360, etc. Active participation in professional associations involving online education, academics and related disciplines. Knowledge of Quality Matters standards.
How to Apply:
Virginia State University does not discriminate based on age (except when age is a bona fide occupational qualification); color; disability; gender identity or expression; genetic information; military service; national origin; political affiliation; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including lactation; race (or traits historically associated with race including hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists); religion; sex; sexual orientation; veterans status, or any other non-merit based factor in its employment opportunities, programs, services, and activities. The selected candidate will be subject to an extensive and complete background check, which may include fingerprinting, and is subject to the COVID-19 guidelines. The candidate may be required to complete a Statement of Economic Interest as a condition of employment, if applicable. Women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply!
Virginia State University only accepts applications for classified positions through the online state Recruitment Management System (RMS). Faxed, e-mailed, and mailed applications and attachments will not be accepted. Visit https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com to complete an online application.
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Office of Distance Education
Commensurate with education and work experience