DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Virginia State University (VSU) seeks a qualified professional to oversee the day-to-day operations of the laboratories within the Department of Applied Engineering Technology. All programs within the department are ABET accredited. The successful candidate will provide support in the areas of electronics, software and machining needs of the department. The IT/ET Technician will report to the Chair of Applied Engineering Technology and work with both the Department of Engineering Instructional Support Technician, in the operation and management of the instructional laboratories, supervision of laboratory sections of mechanical and electronics engineering courses as well as other laboratory sections as needed. The successful candidate will also assist in supporting with senior design projects, faculty research projects and other duties as assigned. The successful candidate will use the University Procurement system to purchase lab equipment and supplies, keep track of software license agreements and maintain inventory control of equipment and supplies needed to run classrooms and laboratory courses successfully. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, with an exceptional attention to detail. Essential for this role is the aptitude to work independently, as well as, part of a team with a collaborative approach to problem solving. Key functions include but are not limited to:
- Generate work orders, coordinate and schedule maintenance and repair on all electronic laboratory equipment and perform repairs on equipment as necessary. Purchase all laboratory supplies and equipment via University Procurement system. Organize materials, maintain inventory of classroom and laboratory equipment and supplies, and manage waste disposals within OSHA, EPA & EH&S regulations. Maintain an efficient and safe work environment in all labs. Develop recommendations for laboratory improvements.
- Provide support to students in lab components of projects, along with other laboratory courses as assigned. Advise students on the use of equipment and materials in a laboratory setting. Assist students with their course projects. Teach students how to operate equipment safely and operate equipment for students when necessary. Assist faculty with the development and maintenance of laboratory courses, and provide all required reports for ABET accreditation process.
- Design and implement instructional/research laboratories based on faculty needs and specifications. Examples may include test fixtures, experimental plants, data acquisition and management systems, calibration and validation mechanisms, etc.
- Consistently work with students, faculty and staff on a variety of projects. This position will work to develop, teach and demonstrate safety rules, policies, and general decorum.
- Familiarity with DC Electronics, Arduino topics, Raspberry Pi and basic robotics.
- Ability to function with relative independence and responsibility, as well as, report directly to the Chair of Applied Engineering Technology.
- Maintain and renew existing software licenses and procure new software licenses dictated by curriculums within the department. Install software in classrooms and laboratories as specified by faculty.
- Provide training on classroom and laboratory equipment/software to faculty, staff, and students as needed.
- Collectively work with other technical support staff within the College and University as needed to accomplish tasks.
- Supervise students and other support staff as directed.
- Other duties or projects as assigned to support departmental and college mission.
Must have considerable practical, hands-on IT experience in a laboratory setting, including IT support skills; must have strong written communication skills; must have demonstrated experience in inventory control of laboratory equipment and supplies; must have experience using the Commonwealth of Virginia’s procurement system, eVA; must have ability to develop safe operating procedures for processes and use of equipment within the Lab; must have ability to train, oversee and enforce for all required safety procedures for the Lab; Must have experience supporting laboratory courses for the student population; must have demonstrated ability to work independently on design, assembly and evaluation of mechanical and electrical systems; must have demonstrated experience managing and supervising employees; must have the ability to troubleshoot repair/maintenance needs for machine tools and equipment; must have knowledge of machining processes using manual and numerical control machines; must have demonstrated ability operating laboratory equipment and performing/assessing repairs of equipment on computer aided equipment including 3D printers and CNC machines; and must have demonstrated ability and experience working independently and effectively with a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff.
An Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or related field is preferred. Experience working in a diverse academic environment and laboratory setting is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Virginia State University does not discriminate on the basis of age (except when age is a bona fide occupational qualification); color; disability; gender identity or expression; genetic information; military service; national origin; political affiliation; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including lactation; race (or traits historically associated with race including hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists); religion; sex; sexual orientation; veterans status, or any other non-merit based factor in its employment opportunities, programs, services, and activities. The selected candidate will be subject to an extensive and complete background check, which may include fingerprinting. The candidate may be required to complete a Statement of Economic Interest as a condition of employment, if applicable. Women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply!
Virginia State University only accepts applications for classified positions through the on-line state Recruitment Management System (RMS). Faxed, e-mailed, and mailed applications and/or attachments will not be accepted. Visit https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com to complete an online application.
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, AND VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
$27,004 - $35,450