Professional Education Programs
Special Education Emphasis
College of Education
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide instruction in undergraduate and graduate Special Education endorsement area knowledge of Virginia Teacher Licensure Standards and possess or have eligibility for a Virginia Special Education teaching license, experience teaching public school and university level, ongoing scholarly research, student advising, serving on University/School/Department committees, public/private school collaboration; preparation of accreditation documents and other related activities, work collaboratively with College of Education Programs and endorsement discipline faculty, as well as other internal and external stakeholders.
- Doctorate in Special Education or related field.
- Extended experience in teaching individuals with intellectual disabilities, learning disabilities and emotional/behavioral disorders.
- Experience and training in supervising student teachers and academic advising of perspective teacher candidates.
- Skills needed in teaching reading and in preparing students to integrate technology into instruction
- Demonstrated experience with CAEP/SACS accreditation process and teacher licensure standards.
- Demonstrated skill to comprehend and promote teaching and learning philosophy, preferably in an institution of higher education.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skilled in grant and scholarship writing.
How to apply
Virginia State University only accept state applications through the online state Recruitment Management System (RMS). Faxed, e-mailed, and mailed applications and/or attachments will not be accepted. Resumes are not a substitute for the state application. Interested persons must provide a letter of interest, resume, the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of three (3) professional references and transcripts. Official college transcripts will be required prior to employment (copies are permitted as a part of the application process). Visit https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com to complete an online state application.
The selected candidate will be subject to an extensive and complete background check, which may include fingerprinting. The candidate may be required to complete a Statement of Economic Interest as a condition of employment, if applicable.
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES AND VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.