Associate Director of Institutional Effectiveness
Office of Institutional Effectiveness
Virginia State University (VSU) is seeking an Associate Director of Institutional Effectiveness. The Office of Planning and Institutional Effectiveness (OPIE) is the central coordinating office for activities relating to institutional effectiveness and institutional accountability. OPIE seeks to provide reliable, systematic, and timely information to academic and administrative units in support of the University’s policy formation, planning, and decision-making. The mission of the Office of Planning and Institution Effectiveness (OPIE) is to coordinate institution-wide planning, assessment, evaluation, and institutional research activities in support of the University's four-part mission of instruction, research, extension and outreach.
Duties and responsibilities
This position serves to provide leadership and direction to staff in the day to day operations of the University's institutional research (IR) function within the Office of Planning and Institutional Effectiveness (OPIE). This position is responsible for the development, management and coordination of the collection, organization, maintenance, and analysis of institutional data and research. This position oversees functions related to the integrated Banner Student Information System and the Director will work in close partnership with the Executive Director for Institutional Effectiveness to assist the university meet strategic goals through development of statistical models, data analytics, operations analysis and research, and planning functions.
This incumbent will plan, direct, and evaluate the work of institutional research staff within the Office of Institutional Planning and Institutional Effectiveness; provide leadership, management, and development of professional staff; integrate institutional research reporting and functional requirements with Banner and the information management and data warehouse system to improve efficiency; establish, maintain, and advance comprehensive and efficient data collection, production, retrieval, interpretation, and analysis processes.
Supervise staff and manage their work activities – Supervise, direct, and manage staff in data collection, maintenance, analysis, and reporting for databases, data files, reports (web-based, electronic, and paper), surveys, and documents required by SCHEV, IPEDS, other agencies, and publishers; ensure data integrity, accuracy, completeness, and timely submission to fulfill internal and external reporting requirements.
Additionally, this this position provides training to faculty, staff, or administration to empower the VSU community to make data driven decisions
Comprehensive working knowledge of the various institutional research functions including but not limited to the collection, management, analysis, interpretation, and dissemination of internal and external data and information of relevance to the University's academic programs, students, personnel, financial matters, marketing, long-range planning, decision making, and internal and external reporting.
- Ability to plan and facilitate projects, think critically and strategically, and engage in solving complex systems, functional, and data problems.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and organizational skills, while paying attention to detail and directing others toward completed actions.
- Ability to coordinate the work of staff, work in a team environment, and perform effectively both independently and as a collaborator with diverse campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students.
- Comprehensive understanding and demonstrated proficiency working in client/server environments, including extract, transform, and load processes as well as editing and testing for data integrity, system security and control, and backup and recovery processes.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze user requirements, use proven methodologies to design and implement information management and data warehouse systems to meet those requirements, and create, test, and debug complex system output.
- Proficiency in the use of Web FOCUS products and tools, Microsoft SQL, SCT Banner, and other applications.
- Demonstrated ability to apply business intelligence information technology tools in a university environment.
- Knowledge of systems analysis, database design techniques and tools, and project management.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with technical, non-technical, and functional personnel.
Virginia State University will only accept on-line applications through Recruitment Management System (RMS). Faxed, e-mailed, and mailed applications will not be accepted. Please visit http://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov;#160;to complete a state application.
The selected candidate will be subject to an extensive and complete criminal background check, which may include fingerprinting. Candidates may be required to complete a Statement of Economic Personal Interest as a condition of employment.
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, AND VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.