Senior Internal Auditor
Internal Audit is an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve an organization’s operations in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditing Standards. In partnership and in collaboration with Board of Visitors and University management, the Internal Audit department’s (Assurance and Advisory Services) primary objectives are to develop value-added services to assist the University and its operations in objective assurance and consulting activities, assist the University in accomplishing its mission and objectives, protect the University’s interest and safeguard its assets, and improve the effectiveness of risk management, internal and quality controls, and governance processes. The Internal Audit department is an independent function within Virginia State University that reports functionally to the VSU Board of Visitors (BOV) and administratively to the President.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Internal Auditor works in concert with generally accepted internal auditing professional standards and best practices, to include the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) and other professional standard setting bodies; to perform with considerable independence, a variety of compliance, financial, operational, and fraud audits of all the various university activities and operations and to report back to management the findings, with proposed recommendations for improvement. The incumbent will provide independent and objective analyses, appraisals, recommendations for improvement, and counsel concerning the University activities to management and ultimately to the Board of Visitors through executive level reporting resulting from the performance of financial, compliance, operational, and program audits and investigations and special assignments/projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and written skills to interact with diverse individuals at all organizational levels, both inside and outside the university.
- Strong commitment to teamwork the audit profession and customer service.
- Comprehensive knowledge of auditing principles, theory and practices, including IIA Standards for Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, Generally accepted Accounting Principles, applicable AICPA and GASB Industry Guides and Pronouncements, and Generally Accepted Audit Standards.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in the conduct of a variety of audits and evaluate data, business processes, assess alternatives from financial and non-financial data to formulate logical and sound decisions and/or recommendations that improve accountability, performance and efficiencies.
- Ability to identify problems from a large field of data to recommend solutions or corrective action.
- Proven ability to understand and handle political and practical ramifications of recommendations and actions with tact and diplomacy.
- Knowledge of and experience using different accounting systems, enterprise resources planning applications, or other applications software.
- Ability to interpret and apply pertinent State and Federal laws and University policies to specific audit issues.
- Considerable knowledge and computer skills in the use of spreadsheet, word processing, database, presentation, electronic mail, and internet applications.
- Experience using computerized audit tools and programs a plus.
- Working knowledge of business processes and fiscal management and analyzing accounting and operational systems, preferably through working or auditing in a government or in a higher education environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of Control Objectives for Information and related Technology (COBIT), information systems management and general information technology, and internal control framework strongly recommended.
- Degree from an accredited college/university in accounting or a closely related curriculum.
- Significant audit experience in a higher education, a plus.
- CPA, CMA, CIA, CISA, CFE, and/or other relevant professional certification, highly desired.
- Previous experience with business processes of large, decentralized organizations.
- Experience working effectively with diverse populations.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
Virginia State University will only accept on-line applications through Recruitment Management System (RMS). Faxed, e-mailed, and mailed applications will not be accepted. Please visit http://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov to complete a state application.
The selected candidate will be subject to an extensive and complete criminal background check, which may include fingerprinting. Candidates may be required to complete a Statement of Economic Personal Interest as a condition of employment.