AVP Human Resources
Human Resources Director
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Virginia State University, which strives to be an employer of choice in Virginia, is seeking a talented Higher Education Chief HR leader to serve as the Associate Vice President of Human Resources (AVPHR). This role will lead the development of the HR team and implement strategies that will support high levels of employee engagement, promote customer service excellence, and attract and retain high performing faculty and employees. The AVPHR oversees all aspects of human resources including employee relations, compensation management, benefits & wellness, talent acquisition, HR information and technology, and performance management. The position will work collaboratively with the VP of Administration, Provost, President, EEO Director and other key leaders to further the strategies and mission of VSU. The AVPHR reports to the Vice President of Administration.
This role is vital to continued development and HR process improvement at VSU, aligning the vision and strategy of the President and Board to create sustainable business processes, HR services and operational systems. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop the team, structure and processes to manage varying HR projects and initiatives in varying complexity;
- Analyze and interpret related HR and state legislation, and establish methods for incorporating legislation into the functioning of the university;
- Ensure fair compensation practices university-wide and assure alignment between human resources practices and the University’s mission and goals;
- Oversee negotiating and interpreting HR policy consistent with the Virginia Personnel Act and Faculty Handbook;
- Review and assess existing and proposed programs and systems and implement changes which improve efficiency and effectiveness of human resources processes;
- Lead the university community in developing policies, practices, and protocols that help foster an engaged employee population and advance the principles of learning, equity, integrity and accessibility;
- Serve as an executive advisor on a variety of HR, faculty development and legal matters;
- Motivate, develop and create a dynamic and professional HR team that delivers excellent customer service and brings discipline and consistency to HR processes throughout the university
A minimum 10 years’ progressively responsible human resource experience with recent experience as a top human resources executive leading a broad range of human resources functions including employee relations, federal and state HR law, employee development and compensation management. Knowledge, skills and abilities include: ability to initiate and lead continuous improvement efforts through innovative HR solutions and technology; to create, implement, administer and evaluate best practices in human resources programs and services; excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively, persuasively and credibly with all levels of employees; effective management and leadership skills; demonstrated strong interpersonal abilities; consultative skills in areas of organizational change and design. MBA or a Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Public Administration or closely related field.
Leadership experience in higher education is highly preferred. HRCI certification (SPHR/PHR) is also preferred.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
Virginia State University will only accept on-line applications through Recruitment Management System (RMS). Faxed, e-mailed, and mailed applications will not be accepted. Please visit http://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov to complete a state application.
The selected candidate will be subject to an extensive and complete criminal background check, which may include fingerprinting. Candidates may be required to complete a Statement of Economic Personal Interest as a condition of employment.
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, AND VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.