Office of Finance
Duties and Responsibilities
Virginia State University is committed to the preparation of a diverse population of men and women through the advancement of academic programs and services that integrate instruction, research, extension, and outreach. We seek a committed, purpose driven leader for our Controller position. The Controller will be an integral member of the financial services team and will report directly to the Vice President of Finance and CFO. The University is under new leadership and as a result, is currently enjoying a surge in the number of its’ incoming students. This position will have a direct impact on the direction and flow of the of the finance office.
- Supervise senior accounting managers in the areas of financial reporting, general accounting, treasury, cash management, student collections, cashiering, grants and contracts and cost accounting;
- Direct the preparation of the University’s financial statements to ensure they are prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles;
- Serve as the primary staff liaison for the external audit process;
- Evaluate, implement, and maintain a system of effective internal controls over all processes and transactions;
- Direct and facilitate the establishment and implementation of short and long range strategic plans;
- Formulate, recommend and interpret fiscal policies and procedures;
- Ensure timely general ledger closings, bank reconciliations and account analysis;
- Provide oversight to the University’s suite of Banner administrative systems, including accounting, financial reporting, accounts receivables, and other financial modules;
- Oversee annual preparation of 1099, 1099R, 1098T and 990 tax forms;
- Direct the preparation of financial and management reports; and
- Represent the University to state and federal agencies, grantors and grantees, vendors, and others.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Master’s Degree in business administration, accounting, finance or closely related curriculum;
- At least 5 years of accounting experience in higher education, non-profit, state government, or public accounting;
- Experience in directing and coordinating a staff of professional accountants;
- Comprehensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices, especially as they apply to state government and higher education;
- Management level experience in preparing or auditing financial statements;
- Working knowledge of automated accounting systems;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with faculty/staff, administrators, state agencies, external auditors and others;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, particularly on complex and/or technical matters;
- Experience managing and motivating others within a collegial and team-oriented environment;
- Extensive skills analyzing complex financial data to make recommendations; and
- Willingness to support the University’s commitment to provide a transformative experience for our students, strategically invest in our academic programs, embrace our position as a top Land Grant University, embrace our role as Virginia’s Opportunity University, and partner together as a University to tell our story.
- Higher education experience at a public institution
How to Apply:
Virginia State University will only accept applications through the online Recruitment Management System (RMS) at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. All applications must be received by 11:59 p.m., September 19, 2017. Emailed, faxed and mailed applications will not be accepted. Online applications missing any of the above attachments will be deemed as incomplete and may not be considered. Resumes do not substitute for a completed online application. Interested persons must attach the following to the completed online application: a letter of interest; current resume/vita which includes names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of three (3) professional references; unofficial transcripts; and three (3) letters of reference. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment. Your name and the position number (FA116) must be clearly identifiable on each item submitted. The selected candidate will be subject to an extensive and complete criminal background check investigation, which may include fingerprinting. Candidate may be required to complete a Statement of Economic Interest as a condition of employment, if applicable.
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, AND VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.