Administrative & Office Specialist II
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The FCS Administrative Assistant will provide frontline clerical, program and operational support to up to four (4) specialist in the Family and Consumer Science (FCS) Suite; perform work of considerable difficulty that may be specialized or varied in nature and will exercise some independence in work task following relevant University, state, and departmental policies and procedures.
Receives and directs visitors and phone calls. Keeps itineraries of specialists updated. Schedules meeting rooms. Makes travel arrangements as requested. Utilizes University, departmental and State policies and procedures.
Assistance with Outreach and Education; Programs, Workshops, Conferences and Seminars
Coordinates with the FCS Specialists, the Family Resource Specialist and external partners for on-site and distance program planning, registration, day-of-event coordination and follow-up.0
Manage, Collect and Assemble Complex Data and Materials
Utilizing business English, composes, types, edits, and proofs documents, forms and publications. Packages and mails requested materials. Catalogs and maintains inventory of educational materials. Maintain office file and storage systems in support of program operation.
Procurement, Office Equipment and Supplies
Collects, reviews, and analyzes request for goods and services for the FCS Unit. Orders goods and services for Extension programming. Utilizes State and university systems for procurement.
Teamwork and Support of the Mission of Cooperative Extension
Work within a team environment on all aspects of the operation of the Family and Consumer Sciences Unit.
- Considerable knowledge of office practices, procedures, and office equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work for multiple professionals, manage the schedules and calendars of the professionals, and assist with a variety of priories (multi-task).
- Demonstrated ability to make independent work processing decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, collect and assemble a wide variety of complex data or materials.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and to utilize business English to compose, format, and correct written documents.
- Demonstrated ability to use software including Word, Outlook, Excel (spreadsheets), PowerPoint, Access (data bases) and other computer programs.
- Some knowledge of State procurement practices.
- Ability to interpret and follow oral and written instructions
A high school diploma is preferred; however, an equivalent combination of training and experience indicating possession of the preceding knowledge and abilities may substitute for a high school diploma.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Virginia State University will only accept applications through the online Recruitment Management System (RMS) at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. Resume do not substitute for a completed online application. Faxed, e-mailed, and mailed applications will not be accepted.
You will receive a confirmation number once your application is complete in the RMS System. Please record this number. This number indicates that your application is in cue.
Applications will be accepted until the closing date of the position (February 9, 2018). The review of the applications will begin on February 10, 2018.
Selected candidate must pass a Criminal Background check, including fingerprinting.
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, AND VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.