Roofies: The Date Rape Drug
The drug Rohypnol (pronounced "row-Hip-nol"), or "Roofies" as it is being called on the street. It is also called "Ruffies", "Roche", "R-2", "Rib" and "Rope" and reportedly is quickly becoming the "date rape drug of choice."
Rohypnol is a brand name for Flunitrazepam (a benodiazepine), a very potent tranquilizer similar in nature to Valium (Diazepam), but many times stronger. The drug produces a sedative effect, amnesia, muscle relaxation, and a slowing of psychomotor responses. Sedative occurs 20-30 minutes after administration and lasts for several hours.
Rohypnol, particularly when mixed with alcohol or other drugs may lead to respiratory depression, aspiration, and even death. A two-milligram dose can put a person into an excited, agitated and inhibited state, leaving only amnesia. About 10 minutes after ingesting the drug, the victim may:
- Feel dizzy and disoriented
- Feel simultaneously too hot and too cold
- Feel nauseated
- Experience difficulty speaking and moving, and then
- Pass out
The victim will have no memories of what happened while under the drug's influence.
To avoid being slipped the drug, take these precautions:
- Do not accept open drinks, particular from strangers.
- If you are drinking from a bottle or can, open it yourself.
- If you ask someone to watch your drink, make sure it is someone you trust.
- Be especially careful about mixed drinks because they do not come in seal containers.