Marijuana is the most widely used illicit drug in the United States and tends to be the first illegal drug teens use. However, this is not to say that the majority of teens use marijuana. Marijuana has several negative physical and mental effects. Use of marijuana may impair or reduceshort-term memory and comprehension, alter sense of time, and reduce ability to perform tasks requiring concentration and coordination, such as driving a car.
What are the short-term effects of using Marijuana?
- Sleepiness and increased hunger
- Difficulty keeping track of time, impaired or reduced short-term memory
- Reduced ability to perform tasks requiring concentration and coordination, such as driving a car
- Increased heart rate
- Potential cardiac dangers for those with preexisting heart disease
- Bloodshot eyes
- Decreased social inhibitions
- Risk of paranoia, hallucination, intense anxiety