The Staff Senate the method in which all non-faculty salaried and non-student wage staff can participate in shared governance at Virginia State University. The Staff Senate is made up of elected representatives from each college and administrative area of the university. The Staff Senate will meet on the third Thursday of each month, from noon to 1:00pm. All non-faculty salaried and non-student wage staff are welcome to attend any meeting.
MissionThe mission of the Staff Senate is:
- To serve as the representative body for the staff employees of the Virginia State
- To act in an advisory capacity to the university administration and governance system.
- To appoint or recommend staff representatives to University Council, commissions, advisory councils, committees and other ad hoc committees, as appropriate
- To provide a two-way medium for the exchange of information between the staff and the administration.
- To foster a spirit of unity and cooperation.
- To provide referral for individual concerns and problems to appropriate organizations or personnel.
- To accept and share responsibility with the administration, faculty, and students in all efforts to attain the stated goals of the University.
There are many benefits of participation in the Staff Senate and in university governance, including having a voice in policy decisions, creating a satisfying place to work, and improving communication among staff and administration.