The Emergency Communications Section is considered to be the "nerve center" of the Department of Police and Public Safety.
Highly trained professionals, who are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Communications Section answers all incoming calls for Police or Security services and coordinates their directed responses, whether emergency or non-emergency.
Communications Officers answer telephones, monitor fire and intruder alarms on campus, receives emergency communications from other federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, sends/receives emergency messages via The Virginia Criminal Information Network, National Criminal Information Dente, and responds to walk-in requests from the general public.
The Communications Section is equipped with an enhanced surveillance camera system that contains over two hundred cameras that are monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Communications Officers are responsible for the RAVE Emergency alert notifications system, Emergency Call Boxes, the Early Warning System and the TipSoft text-a-tip messaging system.
Communications Officers Code of Ethics
As a dispatcher, I regard myself as a member of an important and honorable profession. I am to be a model to both the community and department I serve.
- I recognize the positive relationship between good physical and mental conditioning in the performance of my job.
- I will perform my duties with efficiency and professionalism.
- I acknowledge respect for all human life and that all citizens are entitled to my utmost at all times.
- I will refrain from prejudicial thoughts and ideals, always allowing fair and open access to all the public.
- My conduct and performance will always include honesty, integrity and respect for my fellow workers and citizens of the community, city, state and country of which I serve as am ultimately responsible and accountable to.
- I will not use the office I have been entrusted with for my own personal gain, unethical practices or for profit.
- I will give the most efficient and impartial service which I am capable. I understand the importance of courtesy and will maintain it as a bench mark.
- I also understand that I alone am responsible for my conduct and actions.
- I will always do my best through word and deed to present an image of a professional who is committed to progress in both improving and enlightening my profession.