Anyone with a valid reason may appeal a parking ticket within five (5) business days of the alleged violation by coming to the Campus Safety office with the original ticket.
Appeals will not be accepted unless the original ticket is available.
Generally, the following have NOT been recognized as valid reasons for voiding citations:
- Ignorance of the regulations
- Late arrival for classes, appointments, etc.
- Inability to find a convenient legal parking space
- Inclement weather
- Returning to campus late at night
- Appeals must be filed in writing with Campus Safety within five (5) working days of receipt of ticket. (Receipt is defined as the day following the issuance of the ticket.)
- Appeals will be considered on the basis of the written record or an individual's request to appear before the panel. Decisions of the Parking Committee are final.
- The Parking Committee may uphold or withdraw the original ticket.
- The Parking Committee shall review the ticket after submission of the Appeals Form.
- The Parking Committee may, at its discretion, seek clarification from all parties involved in the matter under review.
The “Right of Appeal” Application must be filed within a period of five (5) business days of the date on which the citation was written. Late applications will not be processed. The application is below:
Virginia State University
21012 Service Road
PO Box 9405
Petersburg, VA 23806
Phone (804) 524-5360
Fax (804) 524-6414