Virginia State University ranks as a top performer on social mobility on 2020 U.S. News and World Report College Rankings
Published date: September 23, 2019
Virginia State University (VSU) is ranked as No. 5 in the “Top Performers on Social Mobility” category on the 2020 U. S. News & World Report college ranking. (See listing below) This category focuses on colleges who are more successful than others at advancing social mobility by enrolling and graduating large proportions of disadvantaged students who awarded Pell Grants. VSU was also ranked in the “Best Value Schools” category, which the University is one of two public HBCUS to be ranked in the top 50.
“The new rankings emphasis on social mobility and value highlight U.S. News & World Report’s acknowledgment of the mission and accomplishments of HBCUs and VSU,” said President Makola M. Abdullah, Ph.D. “We are happy that the work that our faculty and staff have done is highlighted in this way.”
Another distinguished ranking for VSU is being ranked No. 10 as the “Top Public HBCU” for the regional south. (See listing below) Also, VSU rose in the overall ranking as a “Top Public School” as the No. 24 institution, which is up 5 spots from last year.
Additionally, the University was also recognized in various rankings in the “Regional Universities South” category. In 2019, VSU was ranked No. 78 in the overall regional universities category. This year, the University is ranked as No. 61, which is up 12 spots. Other noteworthy rankings for the University include being ranked as one of the top 25 historically black colleges or universities (HBCUs) and the No. 37 institution in the “Best Colleges for Veterans” category, which VSU is the only HBCU to make the ranking.
All of the University’s rankings are part of the regional universities south category. For more information, visit https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/virginia-state-3764/overall-rankings.
Top Performers on Social Mobility HBCU Ranking (Top Public HBCUs)
- St. Thomas University 1. North Carolina A&T State University
- Everglades University 2. Florida A&M University
- Midway University 3. North Carolina Central University
- Xavier University of Louisiana 4. Delaware State University
- 5. Virginia State University 5. Morgan State University
- Converse College 6. Jackson State University
- Bob Jones University 7. Winston-Salem State University
- North Carolina Central University 8. Lincoln University
- Jacksonville University 9. University of Maryland-Eastern Shore
- Columbia College 10. Prairie View A&M University and Virginia State University (Tie)