President Abdullah Heralds Trojan's CIAA Victory
Published date: March 7, 2016
Trojans Win CIAA
It was a weekend for the record books. Our Virginia State University Trojans made us all proud to be from the “Land of Troy.” For the Trojans who weren’t able to join us for this historic trip to Charlotte, NC for the 2016 CIAA Championship, allow me to share with you the sense of excitement, the excellence, and the championship spirit that made each of us “ PROUD TO BE TROJANS.”
For the first time in the past quarter century, the VSU Men’s Basketball team can officially declare “WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS.” VSU defeated Livingstone College Saturday night by a score of 89-79 to win the CIAA Men’s Basketball Championship. Congratulations to Coach Lonnie Blow and the entire Trojan’s Men’s Basketball Team. This is the first time VSU has taken home the trophy since 1989. We Salute: Waymond Wright, Kevin Williams, Ken Pankey, Javon Moore, Cyonte Melvin, Walter Williams, Tyler Peterson, Elijah Moore, Melvin Gregory, Brice Rowe, Amiel Terry, Te’Quan Alers, Marcus James, Joseph Bradshaw, Louis Flowers, Lonnie Blow, Jr. (Head Coach), Drew Williamson (Assistant Coach), and Montel Jones (Assistant Coach).
VSU will receive an automatic bid into the NCAA Division II Atlantic Region Basketball Tournament. Team selections and competition sites will be announced on Sunday, March 6. The first game will be played on Saturday, March 12, 2016. For more information about the championship game and each game leading up to the victory, click HERE.
I would like to personally thank Head Coach Lonnie Blow, Jr. for his undying commitment to both basketball and to excellence. Coach Blow not only led the Trojans to the CIAA Championship, but he made history while doing it. Coach Blow was named CIAA Coach of the Year. This is Coach Blow’s second CIAA Coach of the Year honor. He received this honor in 2010 while serving as Head Basketball Coach at St. Augustine’s University. A great team begins with a great leader, so I also want to thank Athletic Director Peggy Davis for her commitment and GREAT LEADERSHIP!
Never Would Have Made It
I am grateful for the support of “Our Village.” I know that we “never would have made it without YOU”. I extend a special note of thanks for your unsurpassed commitment to our student athletes. I commend and recognize the parents, family, friends, alumni, faculty, staff, students, board members, mentors, and each of you who support our scholar athletes and our athletic programs. Thank You!
VSU CIAA Accolades
- Our own Kevin Williams was named CIAA Tournament MVP.
- Our Kevin Williams, Elijah Moore, and Javon Moore were all named to the CIAA All-Tournament Team.
- Two VSU students, Cadets Marika Kidd and Chertaevia Clark, each received $37,097 for 2 year Army Scholarships during check presentations at CIAA.
- I was interviewed on the local CBS news.
- VSU was recognized this morning on the “Tom Joyner Morning Radio Show.”
- Our VSU Pep Band was featured on WBTV 3 (Charlotte) during one of many recruitment performances. Click HERE for more info.
- Our VSU Pep Band performed live on Charlotte Morning TV.
- VSU Alum General Dennis Via appeared on “Good Day Charlotte” to promote the ROTC program.
CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE VSU TROJANS.