Approved List of Students for Commencement
Spring 2018 graduation application deadline is Friday February 23rd, 2018. In order for your name to appear on the approved list, you must be academically cleared by the Registrar and the Department Chairperson. Senior grades are due in the system by 12:00 noon on Tuesday, May 8, 2018.
Commencement Financial Requirements
The $60 graduation fee is due by April 27, 2018. The deadline to clear all account balances and student fees (telephone balances, parking fines, university loans, unpaid tuition and fee balances, and Federal Perkins Loan exit interview, if needed) is April 30, 2018. If you have not cleared your account balance, you will not receive your diploma or official transcripts until your balance has been paid. All payments can be made on-line via the web at www.vsu.edu, click on Trojan Link, and select Banner. Payments can also be made at the Cashier's Office in person, by mail (Cashier’s Office, VSU, and P.O. Box 9125, Petersburg, VA 23806) or via telephone 804.524.5150. Payments must include the student’s name and identification number.
Exit Interviews – Stafford Loans
The U.S. Department of Education requires that all recipients of a Federal Stafford Loan must complete a mandatory exit interview with the Office of Financial Aid. Failure to complete the mandatory exit interview will result in you not receiving your diploma. To complete the exit interview, students must complete the following steps:
- Log on to www.studentloans.gov.
- Select “Log In” select “ Continue to Login” (Use your FSA ID Username or Email address and FSA ID Password) if you don’t have a FSA ID, you may create an FSA ID
- Select “Complete Counseling”
- Select “Start Exit Counseling”
- Proceed until Process is Complete
The in-person sessions will be conducted on the following dates:
- Monday, April 23rd, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (Closed for Lunch 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm)
- Tuesday, April 24th, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (Closed for Lunch 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm)
- Wednesday, April 25th, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (Closed for Lunch 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm)
- Thursday, April 26th, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm (Closed for Lunch 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm)
- Friday, April 27th, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (Closed for Lunch 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm)
- Saturday, April 28th, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm (Closed for Lunch 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm)
**Sessions begin EVERY HOUR (Ex. 9 a.m., 10 a.m., etc.)
It is important that you are aware and understand the various repayment options available to you in managing your student loan debt. Specifically, the exit interview will cover the following:
A repayment plan that will fit your circumstances:
- Make repaying your loans as simple as possible
- Develop a workable budget for your new life out of school
- Review your rights and responsibilities as a Federal Direct Loan Borrower.
For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 800.823.7214 or 804.524.5990.
Exit Interviews – Perkin Loans
The U.S. Department of Education requires that all recipients of a Federal Perkins Loan must complete mandatory exit interviews with the Office of Student Accounts. Failure to complete the mandatory exit interviews will result in you not receiving your diploma.
Federal Perkins Loan Exit Interviews will be done through Heartland (ECSI), our loan service. If an exit interview is needed for a Federal Perkins Loan, you will receive notification from Heartland (ECSI), and the VSU Collections Office, along with instructions on how to complete the exit.
If you were awarded a Federal Perkins Loan and you do not receive notification or if you have any questions/concerns, feel free to contact the Office of Student Accounts at 804.524.5339.
All account balances must be cleared by April 30, 2018. If additional charges are assessed after April 30, 2018, it is still your responsibility to make sure these charges are paid in full. Failure to do so will result in your diploma and official transcripts being held.