Education Support Specialist II
The ideal candidate will proactively support the Career Services role to enhance and expand experiential learning and employment opportunities for Virginia State University students and alumni. The Assistant Director will serve as a liaison for STEM programs, and assist students with the career development process.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Coach and counsel VSU undergraduate students, graduate students and alumni regarding the career planning process and career related topics. Collaborate and assist the College of Engineering and Technology with internship, co-op and career development initiatives; developing an internship/cooperative education program; and overseeing the career development component of students in the program. The assistant director is responsible for the following:
- Work with the director in providing strategic and innovative leadership with implementing the career coaching advising component of Career Services.
- Advise students on all aspects of the career search process. Stay updated with current trends in the industry; incorporate knowledge of career and student development theories.
- Utilize career assessment tools as appropriate; administer and discuss results with students.
- Collaborate with employers, student organizations, alumni, faculty, and staff in preparing and implementing career related workshops; developing internship, employment and experiential learning opportunities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry partners and University initiatives for STEM programs.
- Establish and maintain a liaison/collaborative role with academic departments/units.
- Utilize Career Management Software to maintain advising notes, employer information, employment opportunities and reporting.
- Supervise staff, work study/graduate students and complete administrative tasks as necessary.
Considerable education and years of experience in the career services field. Must possess working knowledge of the career services field, career services resources, tools, information, and programs. Possess knowledge of STEM fields including current developments in STEM education and experience with STEM career programming. Demonstrated ability to coach and advise students on the career development process and career related activities; create, present and facilitate career related workshops and programs, preferably related to STEM; write reports, procedures, and communicate effectively in a variety of situations; establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team members and individuals. Must have organizational and time management skills; be team oriented and collaborative; exhibit excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher and have experience navigating social media sites. Demonstrated ability to work independently with moderate or no supervision.
Experience using Symplicity or other career services software. Advanced degree (Master’s) in Counseling, Higher Education, Student Personnel, Engineering or related field is with a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in Higher Education, Human Resources, Recruiting, Career Coaching/Advising or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Virginia State University only accepts applications for classified positions through the on-line state Recruitment Management System (RMS). Faxed, e-mailed, and mailed applications and/or attachments will not be accepted. Visit https://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov to complete an online application.
This position is restricted due to funding from non-continuous or non-recurring funding sources.
The selected candidate will be subject to an extensive and complete background check, which may include fingerprinting. The candidate may be required to complete a Statement of Economic Interest as a condition of employment, if applicable.
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, AND VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.