We are committed to protecting people and the environment by protecting our natural resources and maintaining a healthy and safe environment for faculty, staff and students.
To assure fulfillment of our commitment, Virginia State University has adopted the following environmental compliance goals:
- Demonstrate leadership in environmental protection and improvement.
- Initiate training and programs designed to ensure the university remains in compliance with all federal, state, and local environmental regulations.
- Develop and maintain a hazardous waste program to ensure compliance and minimize waste generation along with the implementation of proper storage, handling and disposal practices.
- Develop and maintain a universal waste program to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Maintain training on all university’s spill plans to ensure a safe, efficient response to potential spills on-campus.
- Prepare for inspections of the university’s above-ground and under-ground storage tanks by conducting internal inspections and implementing proper record keeping procedures.
- Comply with all facets of the university’s air permit as required by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Incorporate the consideration of the environment in projects throughout campus.
- Comply with all indoor air quality regulations in regards to asbestos, lead-based paint, and mold.
- Provide a safe and healthy work environment for all faculty, staff, and students on campus.
Questions regarding environmental compliance should be directed to the VSU Environmental Compliance Officer.