We are committed to protecting people and the environment by protecting our natural resources and maintaining a healthy and safe environment for faculty, staff and students.
Virginia State University has been accepted as an Environmental Enterprise (E2) participant in the Virginia Environmental Excellence Program (VEEP) administered by the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The program recognizes above compliance commitment to environmental excellence. The Virginia State University Facilities Department has been accepted as an Exemplary Environmental Enterprise (E3) VEEP participant in recognition of their fully-implemented environmental management system (EMS), pollution prevention program with documented results and record of sustained compliance with environmental regulations.
To assure fulfillment of our commitment, Virginia State University has adopted the following environmental compliance goals:
- Demonstrate leadership in environmental protection and improvement.
- Initiate training and programs designed to ensure the university remains in compliance with all federal, state, and local environmental regulations.
- Develop and maintain a hazardous waste program to ensure compliance and minimize waste generation along with the implementation of proper storage, handling and disposal practices.
- Develop and maintain a universal waste program to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Maintain training on all university’s spill plans to ensure a safe, efficient response to potential spills on-campus.
- Prepare for inspections of the university’s above-ground and under-ground storage tanks by conducting internal inspections and implementing proper record keeping procedures.
- Comply with all facets of the university’s air permit as required by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Incorporate the consideration of the environment in projects throughout campus.
- Comply with all indoor air quality regulations in regards to asbestos, lead-based paint, and mold.
- Provide a safe and healthy work environment for all faculty, staff, and students on campus.
Questions regarding environmental compliance should be directed to the VSU Environmental Compliance Officer.