Virginia State University is committed to admit students who possess a diverse range of talents and abilities.
Freshmen students are expected to complete a college-preparatory or an Advanced Studies Program in high school. The selected program must include:
- 3 units of mathematics that must include the full Algebra I curriculum and two additional courses at or above the level of Algebra I. It is strongly recommended that students complete Geometry, Algebra II, and a fourth higher level math course
- 4 units of English
- 2 units of Science (must include a laboratory science, i.e. Biology, Chemistry or Physics)
- 2 units of Social Studies (History, Government, Civics, Geography)
- 2 Units of Foreign Language recommended
First Time Freshmen applying for admission should have the following items in their application packet:
- An application (Do this by applying online.)
- Official high school or GED transcript (Mail this in a sealed envelope or your high school may send electronically through a secure site.)
- SAT or ACT scores (Send through College Board or ACT.)
- 2 Letters of recommendation (This is part of your online application. You will need the name, title and email address of your recommenders.)
- Personal Statement (You will upload this in your online application.)
- $25 Application Fee (Pay online or send a money order or certified check)
A delay in receipt of the application packet items will delay the evaluation process.
A word about Test scores. SAT/ACT test scores are required for all students who are under 21 years of age applying as first term freshmen. The total score is determined by adding the critical reading and math scores. The writing score is not used in the admission decision process. When the test is taken more than once, the highest score achieved in each category is the one used in the calculation. We encourage you to take the test more than once. You may schedule your test by going to collegeboard.com or act.org. You may view the College Board site in Spanish at http://www.collegeboard.com/padres/ .
The transcript and test scores are the most important items in the packet and are reviewed carefully. We encourage students to take dual enrollment classes, AP and IB courses. Credit may be granted upon receipt of the proper documentation.
Become a part of Virginia State University as we build a better world.