The program also supports the “No Child Left Behind Act” of 2001. Specifically, the program funds projects designed to improve the graduation rates and academic achievement of program participants in preparation for postsecondary education.
Virginia State University’s program has a funding cycle of four years, with each cycle beginning June 1 and ending May 31. The project is funded to serve seventy-five (75) students during the Academic Year and up to sixty (60) students during the Summer Residential Component. The program is supported with Title IVfunds and is located in region four (4) of the United States as designated by the U.S. Department of Education. The program consists of the following:
- An intensive educational summer residential component at the University for six weeks.
- An academic year component where students attend classes two Saturday's each month to receive additonal instruction in mathematics, English, science, social studies, Spanish, reading and SAT preparation.
- An organized guidance program designed for educational, career and personal counseling with emphasis on the total development of the student.
- A variety of cultural events - on and off campus.
- College admissions application fee waivers.
- Financial aid planning and preparation for seniors and parents enrolled in the program.
- College visits and tours.
- First generation college student and potential low-income,
- Need for services i.e. academic/motivational in pursuit of postsecondary education
- Completed application packet to include: two teacher recommendations, counselor recommendation, and essay
- A citizen or national and permanent resident of the United States
- A low-income/first generation family status
- A need for academic support to enhance high school graduation and the pursuit of postsecondary education
The staff consists of a Director, Counselor, Administrative Office Specialist II, certified teachers from local public schools and Virginia State University, graduate and undergraduate students who serve as tutors.
The office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and located at #3 Jackson Place, Virginia State University, P.O. Box9014. The office telephone number is (804) 524-5811.