Global links and utilities:

Virginia State University Home

Excavation Permits

In accordance with University Policy 5903 and the Underground Utility Damage Prevention Act of the Code of Virginia, all excavations and digging on the VSU campus requires the issuance of an Excavation Permit.  In order to prevent service disruptions, both private and public underground utilities must be located and marked prior to the issuance of an excavation permit.  Requests for marking public utilities should be made to MISS UTILITY at 811 or at 1-800-552-7001.  Private utilities require the assistance of contracted services for fee.  The requesting organization is responsible for any charges incurred for locating and marking private utilities. 


Requests for an excavation permit should be made by completing and forwarding the attached form to