Specific functions and responsibilities of the office include the following:
- Collecting, generating, analyzing, maintaining, and disseminating student and institutional data and information to support planning, assessment, forecasting, and decision-making efforts by the administration, faculty, and staff.
- Developing and maintaining databases in support of assessment, evaluation, and reporting.
- Providing institutional data and information to external agencies and organizations such as the Integrated Postsecondary Data System (IPEDS), the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV), and various publishers to fulfill reporting requirements.
- Integrating planning, evaluation, and assessment into the University's budgeting and resource allocation processes.
- Providing technical assistance to the administration and faculty in the areas of planning, evaluation, assessment, and research.
- Collecting, interpreting, and disseminating data from external sources, agencies, and organizations.
- Designing and conducting research, special studies, and surveys in support of institutional planning.
- Providing advice, consultation, and assistance to academic departments and non-instructional units in major aspects of the following: (1) student assessment [development, implementation, interpretation of findings, reporting, and management]; (2) the program review and improvement processes in general education and the major; (3) non-instructional unit review; and (4) the improvement of instructional, co-curricular, and non-instructional programs, services, and operations.
- Coordinating the academic program review process and the annual review of non-instructional units. Providing data and technical assistance in support of the academic program review process.
- Developing and maintaining the University’s space management system.
- Managing the Student Course Evaluation process.
- Managing the commercial testing function in which the University serves as a testing center for Educational Testing Service and the College Board.
In addition to providing data and information to external organizations and state and federal agencies, the Office of Institutional Planning and Assessment provides reports and analyses to decision makers and responds to special requests for data, information, and reports from faculty, department chairs, deans, directors, and senior administrators. Finally, the office is a source of analytical studies and special research services.