The purpose of the Faculty Senate is to represent the faculty in the consideration of all policies that affect the academic climate and direction of the institution.
The Faculty Senate seeks to create, maintain, and protect a university environment conducive to the growth of scholarship, learning, teaching, research, service, and respect for human dignity and rights. Among other things, the responsibilities of the Faculty Senate include:
- Working as advocate for the faculty and for the mission of the University with all shared governance bodies (Student Government Association, University Council, Staff Senate)
- Offering suggestions to the Provost, Vice Presidents and the President on matters of University organization, budget recommendations and revisions, facilities, planning, and mission at the University level
- Consulting with appropriate resource persons concerning academic policy
- Offering recommendations about admissions policies, faculty employment, faculty evaluation, retention, promotion and work environment policies, academic policies, and other policies and procedures affecting the work environment
- Maintaining open and continuous communication with the faculty and obtaining faculty input to all actions
- Working with the Provost to establish policies and procedures by which faculty will be involved in the evaluation of academic administrators